Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Classmate's Post

Hello everyone! I am back again this week to comment on two of my classmate’s blogs. Now that we have just wrapped up our second test I thought it would be nice to reflect on some blogs that really highlighted what we have learned this semester.

The first classmate’s blog I have selected is Kevin Mahoney’s titled: Social Media Breakfast: The Present and Future of Social Media. Not only did Kevin write about social media, which has been stressed repeatedly in the course, but it revolved around the one and only Quinnipiac University. I love this post because it shows that social media is an important part of the community in which our class belongs to. Basically, Quinnipiac held a Social Media Breakfast, which was lead by a Quinnipiac Graduate Communications Professor named Phil Simons. It involved a panel of professionals who highlighted topics such as social media and advertising, returns on social media campaign, what strategies can social media experts use to reach specific audiences and what’s in store for the future of social media. Obviously, these are all important topics in the field on public relations. My only question is: where was my invitation? But really, this seems awesome and something I would have loved to attend! Social media is such a fascinating topic, and it is only growing and enhancing every day.

Next, I of course had to find a post that fit my “media corporation” blog focus. So I would like to thank my classmate Blain for her post titled: Participant Observation In an online virtual world? Her post evolved how MTV (one of my personal favorites) uses participant observation to undertake an ethnographic exploration of brands in an online virtual world. In fact, Viacom’s MTV has invested $1.3 billion in virtual games by 2010. One of the most popular is the Virtual Hills/Laguna Beach game (which I would play in a heartbeat, who wouldn’t want to be LC for a day). I thought this was clever because MTV is one of the first media companies to invest in an online virtual world. Obviously social media is at the top of everyone’s list, but this is a different angle to the internet craze and I love it! They even had another one where players can create avatars.

So there you have it, I think I found two very awesome blogs this week. However all my peers have done a great job on their blogs, there is just so much interesting stuff out there that can fit into our futures in the public relations world. While this is all for now and I will be back next week with a new original post!

No comments:

Post a Comment