Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Get Your Creep On!

This week in class we learned about unobtrusive research, which is methods of gathering data by means of obtaining information without the subjects actually knowing their being observed. I know right now this may not sounds like it relates to you in any way shape or form, but hear me out. As I got to thinking I realized that as I sat on a bench all summer outside 30 Rockefeller Plaza, staring at tourist as I sip on my third Dunkin Donuts ice coffee of the day, I was in some way, shape or form participating in unobtrusive research. Perhaps I could have researched what was the most popular tourist attraction between the Top of Rock, the TODAY show concerts or Rockefeller Plaza itself. However, no matter which way you put it we have all probably participated in some form of unobtrusive measures.

After going through all the different unobtrusive methods, I realized that content analysis is a vital part of the NBC News Publicly Department. If you really want to get in depth about content analysis, this article can really help you out. But basically the part of content analysis NBC concentrates on is word counting. Every morning, it is crucial to look through newspapers, magazines and online sources for mentions of our shows, talent and company. After that, the clips must be recorded, sent out and saved in order to keep employees in the loop as well as help monitor publicity. Basically, content analysis is a great way to keep record of your company’s publicity, plus who can complain about getting to read your favorite tabloids and newspapers everyday for free! (Jealous?!?)

In addition, another popular form of unobtrusive research is syndicated research, which provides information from media audiences, consumer being and culture trends. One of the most popular forms of syndicated research is the Neilson Ratings, which report the audience size and composition of television programming. Obviously it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that the Neilson Ratings are vital in the media field and really help corporations measure their performance. Here is an example of the ratings from last week, which of course includes MSNBC. Again, this is a great way for NBC to compare itself to its competitors and see where improvement is needed.

Who knew that I was indulging in so many forms of unobtrusive research all summer long without even realizing it? I honestly feel that it is a very unique way of collecting data, which definitely gives you a new prospective on a topic. Not to mention I am a total creep sometimes and to be able to use “unobtrusive research” is the excuse I have been waiting for. I hope this week I was able to teach you a little bit about unobtrusive research and I will be back next week to explore the world of NBC News Publicity!

No comments:

Post a Comment